Monday, March 23, 2009

This is Just to Say

I was thinking about my mother, JoAnn, today and this was one of her favorite poems and one that she taught. It's a fun poem and I hope you like it, too!



This is Just to Say

William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

William Carlos Williams was a doctor, writing in his spare time. He came home late one night, hungry, after treating a patient. He found the plums in the fridge, ate them and left the poem as a note for this wife.

  1. Is Williams really and truly sorry for eating the plums?
  2. Is this really a poem?
  3. We welcome your own apology poem. Just insert it into your comment.

Your thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. Oh thats sweet! I'll need to do that the next time I take the last of the milk, or last cookie....I imagine there would be a lot more forgiveness with a poem left behind then someone pouring a bowl of cereal and going to get the milk and whoops~
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing your thoughts, opinions and suggestions. If you like this post, use the "Tweet This" button above and give us a tweet. Jana

Serendipity Collections

Serendipity Collections
When you need a little something DIFFERENT!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin